Sunday, March 14, 2010

In the woods behind my house

Hallie, Charlie (two of my grandchildren) and I took a little walk in the woods behind my house last week and found the coolest thing.  There is this old machine back there that has been in disuse so long that the trees have grown up all around through it.  It took a while to figure out what it was, but it seems to be an old, homemade, merry-go-round.  Our neighborhood is located on what used to be an old farm, and the property adjoining mine is still owned by the original family.  This old machine is actually on their land.

It's obviously been a long time since any children had the joy of riding it, but I bet is was great fun way back then.  And it's easy to conjure of images of children screaming with joy as they whirled around in the field.

Now, it's just a bunch of rusting metal, standing silent and unable to move even if we wanted it to because the trees have grown up amongst its arms.

Something really neat to find, right?   

All these photos were made with my little Canon G11 - have I mentioned that I love that camera?

No comments:

Post a Comment